Sunday, December 16, 2007

Exposing Yourself

Well, not in that way, but nearly as revealing. When I write, I typically feel uncomfortable, vulnerable and embarrassed. I hide when I write, which is debilitating and it cripples my creativity. I have written lyrics, but usually abandon them. Harder yet is fitting the words to a melody, and I become so frustrated in this task that I give up. What makes you want to sing? For that matter, what makes you laugh, cry, scream, tremble, shiver, shake, or rock and roll? Inspiration comes from many paths, though for me it is terribly unpredictable. Hours of practicing on rare occasion results in new material. Sometimes after a long hiatus I'll pick up the guitar and something new will come to me. It is this lack of predictability, and pragmatic Midwestern background that prevented me from pursuing a musical career. Had only some of that pragmatism included a thought of my emotional and spiritual well being, that yes, it is important to make a living but the most practical thing would be to be happy doing so. Can you say that you love what you do? I know I can't. I am satisfied, and don't regret what I have done or haven't done, but reflecting I would have done things differently if I had another shot. However, I tend to be a fatalist as well, and feel you get what you get. You don't choose where you're born, who your parents are, where you will be schooled, who you'll meet. And though the set of choices at times seems so vast, when you consider what is available at any given time, when you finally make your decision, who you know, what you can afford (monetarily or otherwise), the subset of what once seemed unlimited is now your pigeon hole. From where did I say I was from? In spite of that depressing reality I've painted, if indeed your limited subset includes an opportunity that you've weighed against the all others, but have, or are about to abandon it as it is not within your reach, or you find yourself unworthy, or it is not worth the risk, look again. Look forwards at your favored options and from there, look backwards. Are you where you had hoped to be? Now consider what it would take to change that decision long after you've chosen that path. The subset narrows. Now that I've depressed you, take some time to listen to our FREE MUSIC! The band has begun a month long hiatus. We will be back at it strong, likely with our new bass player in January. We hope to post some more polished material after that time. Please keep watching for that FREE MUSIC!!!

3 comments:

Dean (Jerry) Smart said...

Mr. Skaff, this is the Dean. Nice post.

Horny Ang Moh said...

Hallo! He! He! I have a post on exposure of the physical type here http://hornyangmoh.blogspot.com/2007/12/i-can-see-your-breast-nice-nen-nen.html

BTW tq for dropping at my site! Have a nice day & marry x-mas!

Michelle said...

Break is over guys...start posting again!